View single post by Krueger
 Posted: Thu Jun 18th, 2009 09:22 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Krueger

 

Joined: Sat Oct 7th, 2006
Location: Hartland, Michigan
Posts: 3759
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

FROM A MICHIGAN STAINED GLASS CENSUS, WINDOW OF THE MONTH A FEW YEARS BACK.  Payne-Spiers was one incarnation of the several studios formed around the George Payne family of stained glass makers who were active in New Jersey, dating back to 1875. The eldest George Payne was born in Scotland and worked as a painter for Clayton and Bell of London before immigrating to Montreal and ultimately moving to Orange, NJ in 1890. His son George Hardy Payne and grandson George Leslie Payne (1873-1979) continued the family business, ultimately relocating the studio to Patterson. George Spiers (1904-1974) was born in New York and worked in his father's studio, Richard Spiers and Sons, which would become Payne-Spiers when he partnered with George Leslie Payne in 1935. Payne and Spiers worked together ca. 1935-46 and expanded to a New York office in 1940, although Payne's role was largely administrative. Spiers would retire in 1966 after twenty years with the studio. George L. Payne's studio, meanwhile, continued under the operation of his widow after his death and ultimately sold all its contracts and name to Rohlf's Stained and Leaded Glass Studio of Mt. Vernon, NY.

 Close Window