View single post by Krueger
 Posted: Wed Apr 8th, 2009 04:56 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Krueger

 

Joined: Sat Oct 7th, 2006
Location: Hartland, Michigan
Posts: 4176
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

 
In the current issue of THE MAGAZINE ANTIQUES is an article about Augustus Pugin and his preferred stained glass firm, John Hardman and Company.  It was Hardman's display at the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition that bought the firm to the attention of American clergy and architects.  The windows were imported from 1904 to 1913 through the Church Glass and Decorating Company, with Caryl Coleman president.  Coleman had previously worked for Tiffany Studios.  http://www.themagazineantiques.com/articles/john-hardman-and-company-pugins-glasspainters/
 
According to the author, there are good archival records for the Hardman Company, with all transactions from 1882 through 1935, many of which include watercolors and cartoons of the windows, as well as photos of installed windows.  Included in the records is the stained glass depicting LaSalle landing at the site of present day Detroit.  This window was for a Great Lakes side wheeling steamboat, but is now in the Dossin Great Lakes Museum on Belle Isle in Detroit.  http://museum.msu.edu/museum/msgc/sep98.html

 Close Window